A girlfriend of mine from USA asked me some questions about Russia. I answered on them with pleasure. :)
1) What is the biggest misconception about Russia?
Maybe that bears are walking freely in the streets of Russia. :)
2) How do Russians view the West?
I can not answer for all Russians. Everybody have their own opinion about it.
3) What is the easiest way to impress a Russian?
I think better don't try to impress somebody, just be yourself.
4) What is the biggest difference between Russia and the West?
To my opinion, they are more individualist than people in Russia. One says in Russia about it: "They have different mentality". It's not good or bad. It's a fact.
5) What are some family names in Russia? For instance, in America people can call their dads, "father," "papa," "pops," "dad," and "pa." Grandmas have many names as well, "grandma," "maw-maw," "meow," "nana," etc.
In Russia people tell their dad's: Father - отец - [otecz], папа - [papa], батя - [batya], or abbreviation - pa.
Grandma - бабушка - [babuska], abbreviation - ba.
6) Dimitri Yushkevich said, "I'm not crazy. I'm Russian." So, are Russians crazy?
Noooo! :) People from West think so, because difference in West and Russian mentalities.
There is the quote from movie Brother-2:
- Are you gangsters?
- No, we are Russians.
7) When is the best time to visit Russia?
In summer or early autumn. But, it can be interesting for somebody from country with hot climate to visit Russia during winter and see a lot of snow.
8) What are the best parts of Russia to visit?
To my opinion, the capital of our country - Moscow, also Saint-Petersburg, lake Baikal, Kamchatka. But there are many beutiful places in Russia.